SARU to declare R6.4 millon profit

Brian van Rooyen will base his re-election campaign on the financial statements of the national governing body, according to the Argus’s Dale Granger.

Granger, in Tuesday’s Argus newspaper, writes that the union will declare a profit of R6.4 million, overturning a R12million loss from the previous year.

Van Rooyen, who is facing charges relating to poor corporate governance, told Granger: “We will declare a profit of R6.4m for the 2005 season which is an R18m turnaround from the previous season. But we could have made almost R13m more, as we decided to host the World under 19 championship without a sponsor, while also funding the national amateur team and the women’s teams.”

Van Rooyen, in his election campaign, will also point to the success of the Springboks and SA under 21 and under 19 teams. When he was elected the Boks were No 6 in the world. They are now number two and Van Rooyen will attribute that to the free hand that Jake White was given in coaching and selecting the side.

“We have put together the strongest commercial programme in the history of the sport and are fully subscribed, guaranteeing rugby an income of R650m from now until 2009. We also concluded the Sanzar agreement, which will bring R1.4bn into our coffers. The deal was made without using any agents, unlike New Zealand and Australia, which saved us having to pay a commission of R140m.

“The British Lions will also be coming to South Africa on a 20-match tour in 2009, which will yield a further R100m for South African rugby,” Van Rooyen told Granger.

Oregan Hoskins, who is opposing Van Rooyen, spoke at length in the country’s Sunday media about the transformation needed in rugby. He said he wanted more transparency and he questioned the financial status of the union.

Hoskins also raised the corporate governance issues around Van Rooyen, among them the leasing of his own company offices to SARU.

Van Rooyen told Granger: “The fact is that the lease for the office was put before the president’s council and was motivated by the finance committee (chaired by Dolf van Huyssteen). These are the same old charges contained in last year’s Brand-Heunis report, but no agreement was ever signed – and I never received a cent from SA Rugby for any office or staff.”

Other allegations against Van Rooyen are that he paid the Springboks a R1m bonus in 2004 for playing an extra Test against Wales without the approval of the president’s council.

“We actually paid them R250 000, not R1m, and they deserved it. The Test brought us an extra R5m and if I had to do it again I would,” he said.

Van Rooyen is also coming under fire for allegedly paying former SA Rugby managing director Rian Oberholzer R120 000 a month for working as a consultant on South Africa’s failed 2011 World Cup bid.

“Rian knew the inner workings of Rugby World Cup, but he was not paid R120 000 a month. He was paid R120 000 in total,” said Van Rooyen, who gave White his unconditional support to ensure a successful World Cup campaign.

“If I am re-elected, my goal will be to ensure that (coach) Jake White has everything he needs to help the Springboks win the World Cup in 2007 and that there is not a major exodus of players to overseas clubs after the event.”