Jaco jumped the gun

Springbok flyhalf Jaco van der Westhuyzen was getting ahead of himself when he said on Wednesday on keo.co.za that he had already been cleared to play for the Bulls.

SA Rugby’s manager of national teams, Andy Marinos, told keo.co.za that van der Westhuyzen’s comments on Wednesday that “Sanzar has cleared me to play so I’m just looking to get on the park now” were actually factually incorrect.

“Sanzar has nothing to do with this and no clearance is required by them for Jaco to play,” Marinos said. “As things stand, Jaco has put in a request to play for the Bulls and NEC (his club in Japan) has agreed in principal.”

“What he said was incorrect and he has no authority to say it anyway. I have crapped him out about it already,” revealed Marinos.

According to Marinos, SA Rugby have contacted the Japanese Rugby Union with their reasons for wanting Jaco back and those are for him to take part in the Bok camp and incoming Tests in June.

“We are still waiting for clearance, but it is simply a technicality, but I can confirm we have received no official clearance,” he added.

It is known that Springbok coach Jake White wants Van der Westhuyzen to get game time ahead of what is expected to be a hectic international schedule in 2006.

Meanwhile, Van der Westhuyzen was provisionally included at flyhalf for the Blue Bulls Vodacom Cup team to play the SWD Eagles in George on Saturday, awaiting final clearance from Saru.

By Andrew Hollely