Springbok coach Jake White has made another outrageous selection outburst.
And his latest comments could come back to haunt him by the time the match against the World XV is concluded.
Comments by veteran Bok prop Cobus Visagie earlier this week that he would like to challenge for a spot in White’s World Cup squad next year have received the cold shoulder from the Bok coach on the eve of the first match of the international season.
White says he has more than enough front-rowers at his disposal and will only be watching the performance of Deon Carstens – who will be directly opposed to Visagie – at Ellis Park on Saturday. Visagie, he says, does not feature in his immediate or future plans.
He could surely have reserved judgement until after his Springbok XV play the World XV. What happens if Visagie scrums Carstens into the ground? White could again be left with large amounts of egg on his face.
Furthermore, White’s comments will surely add fuel to Visagie’s fire as he will now be extra motivated to prove the Bok coach wrong and give Carstens the working over of his life.
“We’ve got more than enough props in South Africa and we’ve given them a lot of time and attention,” White told Beeld’s Hennie Brandt. “We have Eddie (Andrews), Lawrence (Sephaka), Deon (Carstens), BJ (Botha), CJ (Van der Linde), Os (Du Randt) and Guthro (Steenkamp). We don’t need another prop to join us.”
“There’s no benefit in it for us to exclude one of our players now after all the work and attention we’ve given them. I’m quite anxious to see how Deon performs against Cobus. I’m not going to watch how Cobus plays,” he said in Beeld.
32-year-old Visagie, a veteran of 29 Tests for South Africa before leaving for Britain in 2003 to further his rugby career at Saracens, was always keen to deliver a commanding display back on home soil.
And now he has the perfect reason.