Trouble in paradise?

The Springbok squad announcement has been delayed to later this week sometime.

This is the second time the squad announcement has been pushed back after it was initially supposed to be made public on Saturday following the Test against France at Newlands.

However, the manner of the defeat to the french added to injuries to key players meant that Jake White and fellow selectors Pieter Jooste and Ian McIntosh probably needed more time to decide on the composition of the 28-man squad.

The press were told the team would be announced today, although no time was ever given.

But, today it was decided to delay the announcement indefinitely, with SA Rugby spokesman Rayaan Adriaanse telling keo.co.za: “The announcement will take place later this week.”

It seems that White’s carefully constructed world though is starting to crash down around him. First rib injuries to star midfield pair Jean de Villiers and Jaque Fourie cause disruption. This was further compounded by the shock loss of Schalk Burger to a neck injury, followed closely by White’s contract dispute with SA Rugby.

Then on Saturday at Newlands White suffered his first defeat in 14 Tests on home soil and lost winger Bryan Habana to a fractured rib. His doctor’s have told him to rest and a decision on whether he can perhaps tour with the Boks will only be taken next week Monday, creating more uncertainty

Also several of his key players are in terrible form and the time might be right for drastic changes as occurred after the 30-12 thrashing by the Wallabies in Sydney last year.

The Boks play Australia in Brisbane on July 15 and New Zealand in Wellington the following weekend.

By Andrew Hollely