John Smit will lead the Boks for the 35th time, now only one Test as captain behind Gary Teichmannâ€™s record of 36.
Smit will also be playing in his 39th consecutive Test match, equaling Gary Teichmannâ€™s record for most consecutive Tests.
Several other milestones will be reached during the Vodacom Tri-Nations Test between the Springboks and Wallabies at Ellis Park on Saturday:
- Saturdayâ€™s Test will be the 60th encounter between South Africa and Australia. Of the previous 59, South Africa have won 35, lost 23 and one Test was drawn.
- It will be the 9th time South Africa meet Australia at Ellis Park. Of the previous 8 Tests at this venue, South Africa won 7 and lost only one in 1963.
- The average score for the eight Tests is 25-12 in SAâ€™s favour. In the eight previous Tests at Ellis Park South Africa scored 30 tries and conceded only 9.
- Smit is already the most capped hooker with 57 caps as hooker (he played in two Tests as a replacement prop). On Saturday he will be playing his 59th match as hooker in the Springbok jersey (one tour match included), thereby surpassing James Daltonâ€™s record of 58 matches for the Springboks as hooker.
- Os du Randt will be playing in his 75th match as prop for the Springboks (70 tests and 5 tour games), thereby surpassing Hannes Maraisâ€™ record of 74 matches. Du Randt is currently the most capped prop in Test matches with 69 caps).
- Should Du Randt score a try on Saturday he will equal Chris Kochâ€™s 46 year old record of 5 tries in Tests as a prop.
- Breyton Paulse is currently the most capped wing in Tests with 59 caps (he played fullback in two Test matches), but, should he make an appearance as a substitute on Saturday, he will equal Jannie Engelbrechtâ€™s record of 66 matches as a wing in all matches for the Springboks.
- Should Albert van den Berg be used as a substitute on Saturday, he will play in his 40th Test, 21 of the 40 Tests as a substitute. Van den Berg is the 2nd most capped substitute for the Springboks behind Ollie le Roux.