Players challenge Bok ban
5 Aug 2007
The SA Rugby Players Association will contest the President’s Council’s decision that forbids overseas-based players to represent the Boks.
Sarpa claims the players were never informed about the decision nor consulted about it.
Chairman Hennie le Roux on Sunday called the decision “ridiculous” adding that the message being sent out to the Boks, just weeks before the World Cup was: “You can no longer play for the Boks if you’ve got a contract outside South Africa’s borders, but for now please win us the World Cup.”
Gary Botha, one of several Boks to have signed contracts with overseas clubs, said he was left with no choice but to seek employment elsewhere.
“Nothing means more to me than the Bok jersey, but as a father I need to put food on the table,” he said. “I had a Bok contract in 2005, but subsequently lost it, and since then I’ve been promised each year they would look at my form to justify getting a new contract. I’ve received nothing.”