Celebrating Monty’s century
16 Jul 2008
In an SA Rugby magazine exclusive, Andre Joubert, HO de Villiers and Chris Latham pay tribute to Percy Montgomery, who’s set to become the first Bok to play 100 Tests.
There can be no doubt about it. Montgomery, who will make his 99th appearance against the Wallabies on Saturday, is a Bok legend. During an international career spanning 11 years and four Bok coaches, he has scored nearly 900 Test points, and won a Tri-Nations and a World Cup. Next year, he is set to become the first man in 26 years to play two Test series against the British & Irish Lions.
Who better to pay tribute to Monty than someone who mentored him (HO), played with him (Jouba) and against him (Latham). Each former fullback gives a unique perspective on the South African who now holds 87 Springboks records.
We also talk to Monty about whether there is such a thing as the complete fullback, his favourite ground, his most memorable Test (apart from the World Cup final), why he prefers touring New Zealand to Australia, the funniest player he’s ever known, and what defines him.
Also in this issue:
– Conrad Jantjes on his fight for the Bok No 15 jersey, how he’s evolved as a player since his Test debut in 2001 and how he feels about Monty joining WP
– Zimbabwe has recently produced three Boks, but the state of the game north of our border is anything but healthy. We investigate
– Andries Bekker talks about his Test debut, what he’s learnt from Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield and the influence Luke Watson has had on his career
– We speak to Sharks coach John Plumtree about the challenge of them winning the Currie Cup (at last), keeping his youngsters in Durban, tweaking the set-up and why the squad needs to hurt when they lose
– Rory Kockott on failing to crack Springbok selection, why he left the Golden Lions, how he approaches goal-kicking and what it’s like to play alongside Frederic Michalak
– We visit Toulouse No 8 Shaun Sowerby in France, and find out why he wants to add to his one Bok cap
– Ollie le Roux discusses his short stint with Leinster, why he wouldn’t have brought John Smit and Victor Matfield back from France, and the threat he poses if he ever goes into coaching
PLUS: Luke Burgess + Lawrence Dallaglio + Top 14 final + SA U20s + free Monty poster