Tigers thump bumbling UJ

UCT claimed their second win on the trot with a comfortable 32-12 victory over a hapless University of Johannesburg in Cape Town.

The wind made things difficult for both teams, but the home side got their tactics spot on and took their chances when they were presented running in four tries to UJ’s two.

The Ikeys dominated in most facets of play and in the end ran out comfortable winners as they remain on track for a semi-final berth.

The Tigers registered the first points of the game when from a five metre scrum flyhalf Matthew Rosslee drew two defenders and put Dane Johnson through the hole in the UJ defence with a wonderful pop pass and the winger rounded off the try under the posts. Rosslee added the extras and the Ikeys were out to a 7-0 lead inside the opening ten minutes.

Immediately from restart UCT were blown up for infringing at the tackle point, but flyhalf Arno Coetzee failed was always going to struggle against the wind and pushed his kick just wide.

UCT extended their lead in the 17 minute through a Rosslee penalty.

UJ then enjoyed a good period of possession and were awarded a penalty. Instead of going for the three points, the boys from Johannesburg decided to probe the UCT defence again and were rewarded when Coetzee crossed the tryline to cut the lead in half.

UCT then set up camp in the UJ half and were rewarded when Rosslee put through Therlow Pietersen to score under the posts with almost his first touch of the ball.

UJ were awarded a penalty with just over five minutes left in the half but yet again fullback Earl Cassidy came off second best in the battle against the wind.

The Tigers hit UJ with a hammer blow just before the break when Johnson scored his second of the match after some good work by the UCT forwards. Rosslee slotted the conversion and UCT went into the break 19 points to the good.

With the wind at their back in the second half, UJ hit back immediately through hooker Daniel Visagie and this time Cassidy was able to convert.

The Ikeys, however, were stuck to a safe approach and dominated territory despite playing into the wind. The Cape students eventually made their domination count when Tiger Bax, who had been quiet in the first half, scored his side’s fourth try in 57 minute.

UJ were then then reduced to 14 men with 15 minutes left in the game when prop Clint van Niekerk was shown a yellow card for not releasing after the referee had warned both sides on numerous occasions.

Man of the Match Rosslee sealed the result with ten minutes to go when he slotted a penalty to give his side a 20 point lead.