Boishaai too strong for SACS

Visiting Paarl Boys High survived an early first-half scare before wrapping up a comfortable 41-22 win over SACS.

The top-five ranked school in the country had their Western Province Craven Week flyhalf Gavin Hauptfleisch to thank. The mighty talented No 10 scored two second-half tries and kept a perfect kicking record to end with 26 points.

SACS, who haven’t won a Premier League A match this season, held a surprising, but deserving 8-0 lead early on, scoring a try in the first minute through a driving maul by No 8 Godfrey Tundube. Ryan van Rensburg, who missed the conversion, found the target with a penalty goal in the fifth minute.

Paarl, who had the ascendancy in the forward exchanges, but were let down by handling errors, hit back with two penalties from the boot of Hauptfleisch to narrow the gap to 6-8 through the 25 minute mark.

The visitors then grabbed the lead in the 30th minute when a SACS fumble was seized upon by scrumhalf Louis Nel, the nippy fellow on hand to collect and cross over unchallenged. Hauptfleisch converted to make it 13-8.

SACS, while limited on individual class and experience, but capable of spurts of bravery and courage under fire (remember they are one of only two teams, Paul Roos being the other, to, in a losing cause, outscore Paarl Gymnasium in the second half), after a disastrous campaign, hurt their cause when hooker Jason Dimio was yellow-carded for a high tackle. Paarl netted their second five-pointer on half-time when left wing Devon Williams was on hand to intercept after SACS had lost possession, with Hauptfleisch adding the extra two points to make it 20-8 at the break.

The game opened up in the second half with both sides playing attractive rugby. But it was Paarl who were the superior side, and they added three more tries by Hauptfleisch (two) and right wing Jean Nel. SACS, who were left reeling at 27-15, never gave up and were rewarded with tries by right winger Storm Winter before Tundube crossed for his brace.

By Mike de Bruyn