Stormers celebrate Bok boost
30 Oct 2012
Allister Coetzee says he’s excited to have on-loan Springbok and Lions duo Elton Jantjies and Jaco Taute in his Stormers squad next year.
Taute confirmed his move to keo.co.za last Wednesday, while WPRU president Thelo Wakefield also told this site that he approved Jantjies’ deal late last week.
Coetzee believes the two players will make telling contributions next season.
‘We’re very excited about having Elton and Jaco in Cape Town for next year’s Super Rugby tournament,’ said Coetzee. ‘They’re both quality players and we look forward to getting them involved here – both on and off the field – and seeing how they fit into the Stormers culture.’
Jantjies is expected to get a run in the starting line-up during the opening rounds of Super Rugby, considering the departure of WP’s Currie Cup-winning flyhalf Demetri Catrakilis to the Southern Kings and the late arrival of Peter Grant from Japan in February.
While Taute is able to play at centre and fullback, he’s likely to compete for the No 15 jersey as the Stormers already have Jean de Villiers, Juan de Jongh, Marcel Brache and JP du Plessis in their midfield department. Damian de Allende is also considered to be in the mix after his impressive performance at inside centre in the Currie Cup final.
Taute has the option of extending his stay in Cape Town after the Super Rugby season as his contract with the Lions expires next year.
The Stormers have also signed utility forward Michael Rhodes (who can play lock or flank) and Springbok versatile prop Pat Cilliers from the Lions on permanent deals.