Guildford leaves Saders squad
26 Jan 2013
Crusaders wing Zac Guildford has withdrawn indefinitely from the squad and will undertake an alcohol treatment programme.
The 23-year-old was involved in a serious alcohol-fuelled incident earlier this month at a private house party. This came after Guildford had rejoined the Crusaders on his final warning after several misconduct charges by his employer, the NZRU.
On Saturday, the union said he would be undertaking an intensive treatment programme to sort out his personal issues.
‘We are working closely with the players’ association and his manager to ensure that he gets the professional help he needs and is held accountable for his actions,’ said NZRU chief executive Steve Tew.
‘Zac’s withdrawal from the Crusaders means they are able to concentrate on preparing for their 2013 season, and Zac will be free from rugby to concentrate on resolving his personal issues.
‘We will remain in touch with Zac to monitor his progress and will address the issue of misconduct at the appropriate time.’