The Southern Kings have included four international players in their squad for the warm-up match against a Franchise XV on Friday.
On Sunday, the Kings released a statement in reaction to an article published earlier that day in Rapport. The article said that Saru would not allow the Kings to field all five of their foreigners in Super Rugby, and that the Eastern Cape franchise would be restricted to two.
EP president Cheeky Watson did, however, state that while the franchise had accepted Saru’s decision, they would not be releasing their foreign players. ‘There are still ample opportunities within our structures for them to contribute,’ Watson said at the time.
Four of these players, namely Daniel Adongo (Kenya), Hadleigh Parkes (New Zealand), Tomas Leonardi (Argentina), and Virgil Lacombe (France), have been picked to play in a warm-up fixture this Friday. A statement released by the Kings on Wednesday revealed how much game time each player will enjoy in this match.
15. Elric van Vuuren
14. Sergeal Petersen (40 mins) / Siviwe Soyizwapi (40 mins)
13. Ronnie Cooke (60 mins) / Siyanda Grey (20 mins)
12. Andries Strauss (Captain) (40 mins) / Hadleigh Parkes (40 mins)
11. Marcello Sampson (40 mins) / Siyanda Grey (20 mins) / Sergeal Petersen (20 mins)
10. George Whitehead (40 mins) / Wesley Dunlop (Vice Captain) (40 mins)
9. Shaun Venter (40 mins) / Johan Herbst (40 mins)
1. Jaco Engels (40 mins) / Schalk Ferreira (40 mins)
2. Virgil Lacombe (40 mins) / Bandise Maku (40 mins)
3. Ross Geldenhuys (40 mins) / Kevin Buys (40 mins)
4. David Bullbring (80 mins)
5. Daniel Adongo (40 mins) / Rynier Bernardo (40 mins)
6. Devin Oosthuizen (Vice Captain) (40 mins) / Tomas Leonardi (40 mins)
7. Wimpie van der Walt (40 mins) / Mpho Mbiyozo (Captain) (40 mins)
8. Jacques Engelbrecht (40 mins) / Cornell du Preez (40 mins)