JK’s final whistle
12 Feb 2013
Jonny Kaplan will referee his 100th Super Rugby match in Bloemfontein. But the world’s most experienced Test referee won’t be around in 2014.
Kaplan confirmed he will retire at the end of 2013 at which time he will have refereed more than a 1000 matches at every level.
Kaplan steps down after 21 years in the game, officiating more International matches, Super Rugby matches and Currie Cup matches than any other referee.
· A world record 68 Test matches
· A record 99 Vodacom Super Rugby matches
· A record 150 Absa Currie Cup matches
· Attended four Rugby World Cup tournaments
· Five Absa Currie Cup finals
· Three Vodacom Super Rugby Finals
The above list is set to grow during the year, reaching his century of Super Rugby matches in the first full week of Super Rugby action in Bloemfontein where the Cheetahs host the Sharks.
Only a World Cup final eluded Kaplan, who would have been given the 2007 final in Paris had South Africa not been a finalist.
By Richard Ferguson