Bakkies Botha hasn’t given up on playing for the Springboks again, but his value in French domestic rugby makes him one of the highest paid players.
Botha may feature against the All Blacks if Flip van der Merwe has not recovered from injury, but it looks more likely the qualities of Botha will be used when the Boks play France in Paris in November.
For now Botha’s focus is on Toulon, a club whose owner pays the Bok a monthly salary in excess of R500 000.
Bryan Habana, who joined Botha at Toulon this season, is paid an estimated R640 000 a month. The highest paid player in France’s Top 14 is former England and Lions flyhalf Jonny Wilkinson, whose salary is listed as being R720 000 a month.
Seven of the top 10 earners are foreign based players.
Top 14 Pay League
1) Jonny Wilkinson (Toulon) – (£48,155) per month
2) Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro) – (£44,711)
3) Bryan Habana (Toulon) – (£42,991)
4) Morgan Parra (Clermont Auvergne) (£39,555)
5) Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse) – (£36,975)
6) Dimitri Szarzewski (Racing Metro) – (£35,254)
6) Carl Hayman (Toulon) – (£35,254)
6) Bakkies Botha (Toulon) – (£35,254)
9) Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro) (£34,394)
10) Matt Giteau (Toulon) (£34,394)