The Chiefs, with All Blacks lock Brodie Retallick brilliant, ended the Stormers home run at Newlands. The Kiwis won 15-9 after leading 5-3 at halftime.
This is the Stormers seventh defeat in 12 matches and they will end the weekend in 10th position. They now play the Sunwolves away and then host the Lions. Any talk of a play-off is fantasy.
- The Chiefs have won six of the last eight games between these sides
- The Chiefs have lost just four of their last 28 games against South African opposition (W22, D2); the Stormers were responsible for two of those defeats.
Chiefs and All Blacks centre Anton Lienert-Brown scored the first half’s only try and the second half try was a penalty try.
Stormers flyhalf Damian Willemse and fullback SP Marais kicked the home team’s points and Chiefs flyhalf kicked just one from four for the Chiefs.
The visitors were missing several big name players, among them captain Sam Cane, but they were comfortably the better team throughout. Surprisingly, the new look and inexperienced Chiefs pack were better than the highly rated Stormers.
Retallick, in particular, was immense as the Chiefs won for a seventh time in 10 starts.
Stormers 9 (3)
Penalties: Damian Willemse (2), SP Marais
Chiefs 15 (5)
Tries: Anton Lienert-Brown, Penalty Try
Penalty: Damian McKenzie
15 SP Marais, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Kobus van Dyk, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Chris van Zyl, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Ramone Samuels, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Cobus Wiese, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Paul de Wet, 22 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 23 Seabelo Senatla
15 Charlie Ngatai (captain), 14 Toni Pulu, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Johnny Faauli, 11 Solomon Alaimalo, 10 Damian McKenzie, 9 Brad Weber, 8 Tyler Ardron, 7 Liam Messam, 6 Luke Jacobson, 5 Michael Allardice, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Angus Ta’avao, 2 Nathan Harris, 1 Karl Tu’inukuafe
Substitutes: 16 Liam Polwart, 17 Sam Prattley, 18 Jeff Thwaites, 19 Jesse Parete, 20 Pita Gus Sowakula, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Marty McKenzie, 23 Shaun Stevenson
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 77‘SP Marais does the business as his penalty goal attempt goes over.
- 74‘Damian McKenzie makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 73‘Albertus De Wet comes on for Stormers.
- 73‘Dewaldt Duvenage leaves the field.
- 72‘Marty McKenzie comes on.
- 72‘Toni Pulu comes off.
- 71‘Chiefs have won 80 rucks so far this game.
- 71‘Stormers have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 70‘Samisoni Taukei’aho comes on.
- 70‘Nathan Harris comes off.
- 70‘Jeff Thwaites comes on.
- 70‘Angus Taavao-Matau comes off.
- 68‘Luke Jacobson has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 67‘Fabulous play by Chiefs has led to Solomona Alaimalo being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 66‘Chiefs decide to make a substitution, with Sam Prattley getting some game time.
- 66‘Chiefs decide to make a substitution, with Karl Tuinukuafe being replaced.
- 65‘Chiefs make a substitution with Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi coming on.
- 65‘Chiefs make a substitution with Brad Weber coming off.
- 65‘Stormers sub Frans Malherbe comes onto the field.
- 65‘Wilco Louw departs for Stormers.
- 65‘Siyabonga Ntubeni comes on for Stormers.
- 65‘Ramone Samuels leaves the field.
- 64‘The referee awards a penalty try to Chiefs.
- 64‘Chiefs put the pressure on with this scrum and it has paid off as they are awarded a penalty try.
- 63‘Jesse Parete comes on.
- 63‘Michael Allardice comes off.
- 63‘Seabelo Senatla comes on.
- 63‘Raymond Rhule comes off.
- 63‘JC van Rensburg comes on.
- 63‘Steven Kitshoff comes off.
- 61‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Cobus Wiese getting some game time.
- 61‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Chris Van Zyl being replaced.
- 60‘Pieter-Steph du Toit has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 59‘Chiefs make a substitution with Shaun Stevenson coming on.
- 59‘Chiefs make a substitution with Jonathan Faauli coming off.
- 57‘Chiefs have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 57‘Damian de Allende has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 55‘Chiefs sub Pita Sowakula comes onto the field.
- 55‘Liam Messam departs for Chiefs.
- 55‘Jean-Luc du Plessis comes on for Stormers.
- 55‘Damian Willemse leaves the field.
- 53‘Damian Willemse kicks the penalty.
- 51‘Nizaam Carr comes on.
- 51‘Sikhumbuzo Notshe comes off.
- 49‘Damian McKenzie steps up to take the penalty but pulls it wide and to the right.
- 47‘Chiefs have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 41‘Trouble here as Solomona Alaimalo breaches the defence.
- 41‘Stormers have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40+3‘There wasn’t enough power on that penalty goal attempt by Damian McKenzie as it drops short of the posts.
- 40+3‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 28‘This is dangerous for the defence as Damian de Allende bursts through to advance the Stormers attack.
- 25‘Chiefs have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 22‘Damian McKenzie has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 21‘Solomona Alaimalo sets up the try.
- 21‘Great hands by Chiefs leads to a try for Anton Lienert-Brown.
- 21‘A gap opened in the defence and Anton Lienert-Brown took full advantage.
- 19‘Stormers have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 14‘Damian Willemse has kicked a penalty goal.
- 9‘The defensive line has been broken as JJ Engelbrecht goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.