KEO News Wire

Du Toit future uncertain after requesting to have Stormers contract cancelled

World Rugby Player of the Year Pieter-Steph du Toit’s future is up in the air after he requested to have his Stormers contract cancelled.

The South Africa flanker asked for his deal to be torn up before a 21-day window closed on Thursday.

Du Toit’s team-mates Cobus Wiese and Jean-Luc du Plessis also submitted terminations notices, an option players were given in South Africa as part of cost-cutting measures amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The trio remain on the books of the Super Rugby franchise, though, as they are still contracted to Western Province Rugby and are set to hold talks over their futures.

A Stormers statement said: “There were just three players – Pieter-Steph du Toit, Cobus Wiese and Jean-Luc du Plessis – who submitted termination notices before the deadline on May 14.

“As previously indicated by WP Rugby, the existing contracts between the players and the company are considered as binding and WP Rugby has reserved the right to hold players to these contracts or exercise other rights that may be held.

“These options will be discussed with the players that have purportedly cancelled their contracts and more information about the course of action will be provided in future.”

Hooker Malcolm Marx was another member of the Springboks Rugby World Cup winning squad who asked for his contract to be cancelled and is on the move from the Lions.

KEO.co.za News wire is powered by opta

Related Posts

One thought on “Du Toit future uncertain after requesting to have Stormers contract cancelled

  1. soundos says:

    it’s nice, thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *