Before placing any wagers on this weekend’s clash, here are some stats, powered by Opta Stats, to take into consideration pertaining to the Sharks and the Lions.
- The Lions have won their six last games on the bounce against the Sharks; they had picked up just two wins in their prior 13 meetings (D1, L10)
- The Lions have won four of their last five season openers, though only one of those five saw the home side on the day triumph.
- The Sharks enter this game on the back of a three-game losing streak, the last time they lost more in succession was six-game drought in April-May 2015
- Elton Jantjies is set to line up for his 100th Super Rugby appearance; the Lions playmaker has scored 67 points in his last six games against the Sharks
- Philip Van Der Walt made 170 tackels in Super Rugby 2017 (more than any other player), missing just six further attempts.