The Brumbies, reduced to 14 men for the final 20 minutes, were blown away in the last quarter as the Lions reversed a 21-24 deficit to win 42-24.
Brumbies lock Rory Arnold was red carded (a second yellow in the same match) for a dangerous and late hit on Elton Jantjies and his ill-discipline proved costly.
Not only did the Brumbies lose all shape and momentum in the last 20 minutes, but they were unable to cope with the Lions one man advantage. The hosts scored three unanswered tries to finish with a bonus point win.
Jantjies, in his 100th Super Rugby match for the Lions, converted all six tries.
The Brumbies led 7-0 and then 14-7 after a powerful opening quarter. But in a game as free flowing as this one, discipline and equal numbers were always going to prove significant to the outcome. The Lions kept their discipline and 15 on the field and reaped the reward.
The win keeps the Lions in first place in the South African Conference and second overall (based on the Conference system that the leading three teams from the three respective Conferences occupy the overall top three).
Lions – Tries: Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Robbie Coetzee, Ruan Dreyer, Marnus Schoeman, Shaun Reynolds, Lourens Erasmus. Conversions: Elton Jantjies (6).
Brumbies – Tries: Tom Banks (2), Tevita Kuridrani. Conversions: Christian Lealiifano (3). Penalty: Lealiifano.
Lions – 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Sylvian Mahuza, 13 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg 11 Madosh Tambwe, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Hacjivah Dayimani, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Kwagga Smith, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Lourens Erasmus, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Dylan Smith.
Subs: 16 Corné Fourie, 17 Jacques van Rooyen 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Len Massyn, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Ross Cronjé, 22 Shaun Reynolds, 23 Ruan Combrinck.
Brumbies – 15 Tom Banks, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Kyle Godwin, 11 Andrew Muirhead, 10 Christian Lealiifano (co-c), 9 Joe Powell, 8 Isi Naisarani, 7 David Pocock, 6 Rob Valetini, 5 Sam Carter (co-c), 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Folau Fainga’a, 1 Scott Sio.
Subs: 16 Makin, 17 Nick Mayhew, 18 Ben Alexander, 19 Blake Enever, 20 Lachlyn McCaffrey, 21 Tom Cusack, 22 Matt Lucas, 23 Andrew Smith.
Live Match Commentary
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 77‘Len Massyn comes on for Lions.
- 77‘Lourens Erasmus leaves the field.
- 77‘Les Makin comes on.
- 77‘Folau Fainga’a comes off.
- 77‘Sam Carter has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 76‘Franco Mostert has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 76‘Aphiwe Dyantyi has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 76‘Brumbies have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 75‘Elton Jantjies converts the try.
- 75‘Ruan Combrinck sets up the try.
- 75‘What a run here by Ruan Combrinck as they gets over the gainline!.
- 75‘A wonderful passing move by Lions is finished off by Lourens Erasmus.
- 74‘Corne Fourie makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 74‘Blake Enever comes on.
- 74‘Rob Valetini comes off.
- 73‘Elton Jantjies has kicked a conversion.
- 73‘Ross Cronje sets up the try.
- 73‘Lions are stopped just a few metres from the try line but Shaun Reynolds picks up from the base of the ruck to score the try.
- 72‘Lions have won 80 rucks so far this game.
- 66‘Andrew Smith comes on.
- 66‘Christian Lealiifano comes off.
- 65‘Fabulous play by Brumbies has led to Andy Muirhead being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 64‘Lions decide to make a substitution, with Shaun Reynolds getting some game time.
- 64‘Lions decide to make a substitution, with Rohan Janse van Rensburg being replaced.
- 63‘Lions make a substitution with Corne Fourie coming on.
- 63‘Lions make a substitution with Robbie Coetzee coming off.
- 63‘Lions sub Johannes Jonker comes onto the field.
- 63‘Ruan Dreyer departs for Lions.
- 63‘The Lions supporters go wild as Elton Jantjies successfully kicks the conversion.
- 63‘Ben Alexander comes on for Brumbies.
- 63‘Allan Alaalatoa leaves the field.
- 63‘Nic Mayhew comes on.
- 63‘Scott Sio comes off.
- 62‘Great forward play by Lions allows Marnus Schoeman to score the try.
- 61‘Sam Carter (Brumbies) is shown a yellow card.
- 60‘Rory Arnold (Brumbies) is shown the red card.
- 59‘Scott Sio has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 58‘Christian Lealiifano has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 57‘Lions have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 55‘Matt Lucas comes on.
- 55‘Joe Powell comes off.
- 55‘Brumbies have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 55‘Trouble here as Christian Lealiifano breaches the defence.
- 54‘Thomas Cusack comes on.
- 54‘David Pocock comes off.
- 54‘Brumbies decide to make a substitution, with Lachlan McCaffrey getting some game time.
- 54‘Brumbies decide to make a substitution, with Isi Naisarani being replaced.
- 52‘The touch judges raise their flags as Christian Lealiifano kicks the conversion.
- 52‘Spellbinding play by Christian Lealiifano is finished off with a try.
- 51‘Lions make a substitution with Jacques Van Rooyen coming on.
- 51‘Lions make a substitution with Dylan Smith coming off.
- 51‘A series of passes by Brumbies results in a try for Thomas Banks.
- 51‘This is dangerous for the defence as Thomas Banks bursts through to advance the Brumbies attack.
- 50‘Lions sub Marnus Schoeman comes onto the field.
- 50‘Hacjivah Dayimani departs for Lions.
- 50‘Ruan Combrinck comes on for Lions.
- 50‘Michael Tambwe leaves the field.
- 50‘Ross Cronje comes on.
- 50‘Nic Groom comes off.
- 45‘Folau Fainga’a has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 44‘Lions have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 44‘David Pocock has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40+2‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 40+1‘Elton Jantjies adds the two points for Lions.
- 40‘Nobody could stop that maul! Ruan Dreyer places the ball down for the try.
- 36‘Christian Lealiifano has kicked a penalty goal.
- 30‘Elton Jantjies does the business as his conversion attempt goes over.
- 29‘The Lions pack has powered over for Robbie Coetzee to score the try.
- 29‘Rory Arnold (Brumbies) is shown a yellow card.
- 24‘Lions have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 17‘Brumbies have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 16‘Christian Lealiifano played a key part in that try.
- 16‘Christian Lealiifano makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 16‘Tevita Kuridrani scores the try from close range.
- 10‘Elton Jantjies converts the try.
- 9‘That’s a great try assist by Elton Jantjies.
- 8‘A gap opened in the defence and Rohan Janse van Rensburg took full advantage.
- 8‘Lions are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Rohan Janse van Rensburg touching down.
- 7‘Try saving tackle made by Andy Muirhead.
- 6‘What a tackle there by Andy Muirhead as he saves a certain try!.
- 2‘Christian Lealiifano has kicked a conversion.
- 1‘Christian Lealiifano sets up the try.
- 1‘Great hands by Brumbies leads to a try for Thomas Banks.
- The defensive line has been broken as Thomas Banks goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.