Malcolm Marx is out of the Lions Super Rugby tour of New Zealand with a groin injury. Marx lasted less than 10 minutes as the Lions crashed to a 28-19 defeat against the Hurricanes in Wellington.
The Hurricanes led 14-0 after 38 minutes and 28-7 after 50 minutes and a late Lions converted try influenced the betting spreads more than the league standings.
Hurricanes winger Ben Lam continued his impressive season with three of the home team’s four tries. Beauden Barrett kicked superbly in very difficult wind conditions in converting all four tries.
Sylvian Mahuza scored a wonderful individual try but there would be no team delight for a Lions team who lost for the fifth time in 11 starts.
- The Hurricanes have won each of their previous six home games against the Lions by an average margin of 16 points per game.
- The Hurricanes have won their last eight games on the bounce, scoring four or more tries in all but one of those eight victories.
- The Hurricanes haven’t lost a home game against South African opposition since Round 11, 2013 (v Stormers); they’ve picked up 11 wins on the trot since that defeat.
- The Lions have lost three of their last four games away from home, and lost back-to-back away matches for the first time in a single regular season since 2014.
Hurricanes 28 (14)
Tries: Ben Lam (3), Ardie Savea
Conversions: Beauden Barrett (4)
Lions 19 (7)
Tries: Nic Groom, Marnus Schoeman, Sylvian Mahuza
Conversion: Elton Jantjies (2)
15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Julian Savea, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Ben Lam, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Finlay Christie, 8 Gareth Evans, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Brad Shields (captain), 5 Michael Fatialofa, 4 Vaea Fifita, 3 Jeff To’omaga-Allen, 2 Ricky Riccitelli, 1 Toby Smith
Substitutes: 16 James O’Reilly, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Ben May, 19 Sam Lousi, 20 Reed Prinsep, 21 Jamie Booth, 22 Ihaia West, 23 Nehe Milner-Skudder
15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Kwagga Smith, 7 Cyle Brink, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Franco Mostert (captain), 4 Lourens Erasmus, 3 Jacobie Adriaanse, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Dylan Smith
Substitutes: 16 Robbie Coetzee, 17 Ruan Dreyer, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Marvin Orie, 20 Hacjivah Dayimani, 21 Ashlon Davids, 22 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 23 Sylvian Mahuza
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 79‘Brad Shields has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 79‘What a run here by Sylvian Mahuza as they gets over the gainline!.
- 77‘Hurricanes have won 80 rucks so far this game.
- 77‘Marnus Schoeman has made 20 good tackles so far this game.
- 75‘The touch judges raise their flags as Elton Jantjies kicks the conversion.
- 74‘Sylvian Mahuza makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 74‘A stunning solo try from Sylvian Mahuza.
- 72‘Hurricanes make a substitution with Sam Lousi coming on.
- 72‘Hurricanes make a substitution with Michael Fatialofa coming off.
- 72‘Hurricanes sub Michael Fatialofa comes onto the field.
- 72‘Sam Lousi departs for Hurricanes.
- 71‘Robbie Coetzee has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 69‘Hacjivah Dayimani comes on for Lions.
- 69‘Cyle Brink leaves the field.
- 69‘Kwagga Smith has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 68‘Reed Prinsep comes on.
- 68‘Gareth Evans comes off.
- 68‘Fabulous play by Lions has led to Rohan Janse van Rensburg being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 67‘Lions have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 66‘Jamie Booth comes on.
- 66‘Finlay Christie comes off.
- 66‘Marvin Orie comes on.
- 66‘Lourens Erasmus comes off.
- 65‘Hurricanes decide to make a substitution, with Ihaia West getting some game time.
- 65‘Hurricanes decide to make a substitution, with Nehe Milner-Skudder being replaced.
- 65‘Hurricanes make a substitution with Vince Aso coming on.
- 65‘Hurricanes make a substitution with Julian Savea coming off.
- 65‘Lions sub Ashlon Davids comes onto the field.
- 65‘Andries Coetzee departs for Lions.
- 65‘Sylvian Mahuza comes on for Lions.
- 65‘Ruan Combrinck leaves the field.
- 62‘Ardie Savea has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 60‘Chris Eves comes on.
- 60‘Jeff Toomaga-Allen comes off.
- 60‘Sam Lousi comes on.
- 60‘Michael Fatialofa comes off.
- 58‘Elton Jantjies has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 57‘Fraser Armstrong comes on.
- 57‘Toby Smith comes off.
- 57‘Hurricanes decide to make a substitution, with James O’Reilly getting some game time.
- 57‘Hurricanes decide to make a substitution, with Ricky Riccitelli being replaced.
- 56‘Marnus Schoeman scores the try from close range.
- 55‘Beauden Barrett adds the two points for Hurricanes.
- 55‘Lions make a substitution with Rohan Janse van Rensburg coming on.
- 55‘Lions make a substitution with Harold Vorster coming off.
- 55‘Lions sub Johannes Jonker comes onto the field.
- 55‘Jacobie Adriaanse departs for Lions.
- 55‘Ruan Dreyer comes on for Lions.
- 55‘Dylan Smith leaves the field.
- 53‘Matt Proctor played a key part in that try.
- 53‘Silky skills by Hurricanes ends with a try for Ben Lam.
- 53‘Trouble here as Ben Lam breaches the defence.
- 53‘This is dangerous for the defence as Gareth Evans bursts through to advance the Hurricanes attack.
- 52‘A gap opened in the defence and Beauden Barrett took full advantage.
- 52‘The defensive line has been broken as Marnus Schoeman goes through the gap.
- 51‘Lions have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 46‘Beauden Barrett does the business as his conversion attempt goes over.
- 45‘That’s a great try assist by Ngani Laumape.
- 44‘A wonderful passing move by Hurricanes is finished off by Ben Lam.
- 44‘Hurricanes have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 42‘Marnus Schoeman has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 40‘Elton Jantjies makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 39‘Lions are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Nic Groom touching down.
- 33‘Hurricanes have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 33‘What a run here by Ardie Savea as they gets over the gainline!.
- 30‘Lions have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 26‘Beauden Barrett converts the try.
- 25‘Matt Proctor sets up the try.
- 24‘A series of passes by Hurricanes results in a try for Ardie Savea.
- 24‘Matt Proctor makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 19‘Fabulous play by Hurricanes has led to Ricky Riccitelli being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 17‘Trouble here as Aphiwe Dyantyi breaches the defence.
- 12‘This is dangerous for the defence as Ricky Riccitelli bursts through to advance the Hurricanes attack.
- 10‘Hurricanes have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 10‘A gap opened in the defence and Beauden Barrett took full advantage.
- 8‘Beauden Barrett has kicked a conversion.
- 8‘Robbie Coetzee comes on.
- 8‘Malcolm Marx comes off.
- 7‘Great hands by Hurricanes leads to a try for Ben Lam.
- 7‘The defensive line has been broken as Ben Lam goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.