The Lions, playing 15 to 13 for 10 minutes, turned an anxious 21-all situation into a crushing 49-35 win against the Bulls in Pretoria.
The Bulls showed great fitness to finish with an unanswered 14 points, including a brilliant solo try from winger Travis Ishmaiel.
The Lions scored four converted tries with the two man advantage
Elton Jantjies and Malcolm Marx were the standout players in a Lions win characterised by a seven try to four win.
Marx, South Africa’s player of the year and also the Lions player of the year, was named man of the match.
The Lions lead 21-14 at halftime.
- The Lions have won five of their last six games against the Bulls, including their last three meetings;
- The Lions have won their last seven games away from home, and haven’t lost on the road against South African opposition Round 12, 2015 against the Bulls.
- Malcolm Marx has crossed for a try once in each of his last four games away from home within South Africa.
Tries: Kotze, Pollard, Gqoboka, Ismaiel
Cons: Boshoff, Brummer 2
Pens: Boshoff 3
Yellow Cards: Van Vuuren, De Jager
Tries: Dreyer, Van Rooyen, Orie, Marx, Penalty try, Mahuza, Cronje
Cons: Jantjies 6
If you want to know everything about Saturday’s Super Rugby matches, then visit our Opta Powered Live Match Centre. Every match has the commentary, the teams, fast facts and stats.
You can also visit our Super Rugby page for all the logs and all the reports and competition news.
15 Divan Rossouw, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Burger Odendaal (co-captain), 11 Johnny Kotze, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Andre Warner, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Thembelani Bholi, 6 Roelof Smit, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans van Wyk, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Pierre Schoeman
Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Conraad van Vuuren, 19 Nic de Jager (co-captain), 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Marnitz Boshoff, 23 Duncan Matthews
15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Sylvian Mahuza, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Cyle Brink, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen
Substitutes: 16 Robbie Coetzee, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Marnus Schoeman, 21 Marco Jansen van Vuren, 22 Harold Vorster, 23 Madosh Tambwe
It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 78‘Francois Brummer converts the try.
- 78‘John-Ben Kotze sets up the try.
- 77‘A bit of individual brilliance by Travis Ismaiel leads to a try for Bulls.
- 77‘A gap opened in the defence and Travis Ismaiel took full advantage.
- 76‘Francois Brummer has kicked a conversion.
- 75‘Lizo Gqoboka scores the try from close range.
- 75‘Cyle Brink has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 73‘Lions decide to make a substitution, with Harold Vorster getting some game time.
- 73‘Lions decide to make a substitution, with Rohan Janse van Rensburg being replaced.
- 73‘Lions make a substitution with Marco Jansen Van Vuuren coming on.
- 73‘Lions make a substitution with Ross Cronje coming off.
- 72‘Bulls sub Francois Brummer comes onto the field.
- 72‘Handre Pollard departs for Bulls.
- 71‘Malcolm Marx comes off.
- 71‘The Lions supporters go wild as Elton Jantjies successfully kicks the conversion.
- 70‘The defensive line has been broken as Ross Cronje goes through the gap.
- 70‘Spellbinding play by Warren Whiteley is finished off with a try.
- 70‘A series of passes by Lions results in a try for Ross Cronje.
- 68‘Marco van Staden comes on.
- 68‘RG Snyman comes off.
- 65‘Lions decide to make a substitution, with Marnus Schoeman getting some game time.
- 65‘Lions decide to make a substitution, with Marvin Orie being replaced.
- 62‘Bulls make a substitution with Embrose Papier coming on.
- 62‘Bulls make a substitution with Andre Riaan Warner coming off.
- 61‘Lions sub Dylan Smith comes onto the field.
- 61‘Jacques Van Rooyen departs for Lions.
- 61‘Jacobie Adriaanse comes on for Lions.
- 61‘Ruan Dreyer leaves the field.
- 58‘Michael Tambwe comes on.
- 58‘Andries Coetzee comes off.
- 58‘Lourens Erasmus comes on.
- 58‘Andries Ferreira comes off.
- 56‘Lizo Gqoboka comes on.
- 56‘Pierre Schoeman comes off.
- 56‘What a run here by Sylvian Mahuza as they gets over the gainline!.
- 56‘The touch judges raise their flags as Elton Jantjies kicks the conversion.
- 56‘Cyle Brink played a key part in that try.
- 55‘Great hands by Lions leads to a try for Sylvian Mahuza.
- 54‘Nick de Jager (Bulls) is shown a yellow card.
- 54‘Rohan Janse van Rensburg makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 54‘The referee awards a penalty try to Lions.
- 53‘Bulls decide to make a substitution, with Marco van Staden getting some game time.
- 53‘Bulls decide to make a substitution, with Roelof Smit being replaced.
- 53‘Conraad Van Vuuren (Bulls) is shown a yellow card.
- 53‘Conraad Van Vuuren (Bulls) is shown a yellow card.
- 51‘Bulls have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 51‘Elton Jantjies adds the two points for Lions.
- 50‘Lions have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 50‘Lions are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Malcolm Marx touching down.
- 49‘Bulls make a substitution with Conraad Van Vuuren coming on.
- 49‘Bulls make a substitution with Frans van Wyk coming off.
- 49‘Bulls sub Adriaan Strauss comes onto the field.
- 49‘Jaco Visagie departs for Bulls.
- 49‘Warrick Gelant comes on for Bulls.
- 49‘Marnitz Boshoff leaves the field.
- 45‘Nick de Jager comes on.
- 45‘Thembelani Bholi comes off.
- 41‘Marnitz Boshoff does the business as his conversion attempt goes over.
- 40‘A stunning solo try from Handre Pollard.
- 40‘Fabulous play by Bulls has led to Handre Pollard being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 35‘Marnitz Boshoff has hooked the conversion to the left of the posts.
- 34‘Trouble here as John-Ben Kotze breaches the defence.
- 34‘That’s a great try assist by Handre Pollard.
- 34‘What a kick! John-Ben Kotze takes full advantage to score for Bulls.
- 32‘Elton Jantjies makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 32‘Elton Jantjies sets up the try.
- 31‘The kick through from Lions has allowed Marvin Orie to touch down.
- 30‘Lions have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 30‘Bulls have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 27‘Marnitz Boshoff makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 22‘Marnitz Boshoff kicks the penalty.
- 18‘Elton Jantjies converts the try.
- 17‘Nobody could stop that maul! Jacques Van Rooyen places the ball down for the try.
- 16‘This is dangerous for the defence as Andries Coetzee bursts through to advance the Lions attack.
- 14‘Elton Jantjies has kicked a conversion.
- 13‘The Lions pack has powered over for Ruan Dreyer to score the try.
- 9‘A gap opened in the defence and Warren Whiteley took full advantage.
- 7‘The defensive line has been broken as Ross Cronje goes through the gap.
- 5‘Marnitz Boshoff has kicked a penalty goal.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.