KEO News Wire
Rugby World Cup 2019: The better team lost – Gatland
Wales are through to a World Cup semi-final, having come through a last-eight clash in which Warren Gatland conceded they were second best.
Warren Gatland conceded the better team lost after Wales came from behind to see off France in the World Cup quarter-finals on Sunday.
Wales recovered from 12-0 and 19-10 down to defeat a 14-man France, who saw Sebastien Vahaamahina sent off for swinging an elbow into the head of Aaron Wainwright in the 49th minute.
Gatland’s men had been second best up until that point, with France wasting opportunities to take a more commanding lead in the first half.
Vahaamahina’s dismissal proved a turning point but Wales had to wait until the 74th minute for the winning try, which came in contentious fashion as Ross Moriarty went over after Charles Ollivon had the ball stripped.
Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live afterwards, Gatland said: “I think the better team lost. The thing about our boys is they don’t give up, they keep trying until the end.
“We kept working away. France came out of the blocks well. At half-time we just said we’ve got to score next, we did that and obviously the red card was the turning point. It was pretty special.”
Hapus. pic.twitter.com/bT96jwxIH3
— Welsh Rugby Union (@WelshRugbyUnion) October 20, 2019
Back in February after Wales came back from 16-0 down to claim an away win over France in the Six Nations, Gatland declared that his side had “forgotten how to lose”.
Asked in his post-match media conference if their turnaround was a prime example of that, Gatland replied: “I think it was. The message at half time was that France had started well.
“You have to take your hat off to them. I thought they were excellent and very unlucky. They’ve definitely improved.
“The red card was significant but that sometimes galvanises teams.
“We didn’t play well but we can be excited about looking forward to the semi-final.”
Number eight Josh Navidi’s participation in the semi-final, where they will face either Japan or South Africa, is in doubt due to a hamstring injury.
“Josh Navidi has done a hamstring,” Gatland added. “We don’t know how serious it is yet.”
KEO.co.za News wire is powered by opta
-
KEO News Wire2 weeks agoKeo URC Boks Weekly Form Team – Round 17
-
KEO News Wire1 week agoBulls captain Ruan Nortje is a leader of men
-
KEO News Wire2 weeks agoSacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu lights up United Rugby Championship
-
International Rugby2 weeks agoSouth Africa will never again host the Rugby World Cup
-
KEO News Wire1 week agoGive the world champion Springboks a break
-
KEO News Wire2 weeks agoCameron Hanekom on the charge for the Boks
-
KEO News Wire7 days agoStormers Fans Ultimate XV – how good are those who missed out!
-
Champions Cup2 days agoBordeaux prop Carlü Sadie the big Springboks winner
