KEO News Wire

Sexton exit talk dismissed by Leinster

Leinster have dismissed the suggestion Johnny Sexton could leave at the end of the season for a return to the Top 14.

Reports in France have claimed Top 14 leaders Lyon are hoping to bring former Racing 92 fly-half Sexton in to replace Jonathan Wisniewski, who is said to be considering retirement.

However, Leinster senior coach Stuart Lancaster moved to put an end to the speculation on Monday.

“There is certainly nothing from our end,” said Lancaster.

“Johnny is contracted to Leinster and Ireland until 2021, so the only conversation I have had with Johnny is how can he get better, how he can help Leinster get better and how can he play for Ireland

“I can’t see any merit in that [moving].”

Sexton is sidelined with a knee injury and Leinster head coach Leo Cullen said last week he is unlikely to return to action until the start of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign.

Leinster became the first side to qualify for the European Champions Cup quarter-finals by defeating Northampton Saints 50-21 in Dublin on Saturday.

KEO.co.za News wire is powered by opta

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *