Siya Kolisi’s 100th Super Rugby match turned out to be a beauty with the passionate Stormers captain leading his team to victory against the Bulls at Newlands.
The Stormers scored four tries to two in the 29-17 triumph.
Replacement hooker Scarra Ntubeni played his 50th match.
The Stormers front row destroyed the Bulls in the much anticipated return scrum after the Bulls had done similar wrecking job on the Stormers in Pretoria a month ago.
This time there was no element of surprise from the Bulls. The Stormers were prepared and potent in delivering.
Stormers props Steven Kitshoff and Wilco Louw monstered a Bulls front row that lost their tighthead Trevor Nyakane before kick-off.
The Stormers were outstanding in the first quarter, scoring two tries and controlling the possession and field position. The Bulls were forced to make 19 tackles in the first 15 minutes, as opposed to the two of the Stormers.
The Bulls fought back to trail 12-10 at halftime and took an early lead in the second half.
But big matches are turned with big moments and Stormers centre Damian de Allende produced that magical moment to set up SP Marais’s try and the Stormers thereafter were always in control.
The defeat is the Bulls sixth in 10 matches, while the Stormers remain unbeaten at home.
Tries: Damian Willemse, Wilco Louw, SP Marais, Ramone Samuels
Conversions: Damian Willemse (3)
Tries: Lood de Jager, Jason Jenkins
Conversions: Handre Pollard (2)
15 SP Marais, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Kobus van Dyk, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Chris van Zyl, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Ramone Samuels, 1 Steven Kitshoff
Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Cobus Wiese, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Paul de Wet, 22 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 23 Seabelo Senatla
15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Johnny Kotze, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Burger Odendaal (captain), 11 Divan Rossouw, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Andre Warner, 8 Thembelani Bholi, 7 Jason Jenkins, 6 Marco van Staden, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Lizo Gqoboka
Substitutes: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Frans van Wyk, 18 Conrad van Vuuren, 19 Hendre Stassen, 20 Roelof Smit, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Manie Libbok, 23 Travis Ismaiel
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 78‘Trouble here as Manie Libbok breaches the defence.
- 78‘Bulls have won 80 rucks so far this game.
- 75‘Frans Malherbe comes on for Stormers.
- 75‘Wilco Louw leaves the field.
- 75‘Siyabonga Ntubeni comes on.
- 75‘Ramone Samuels comes off.
- 73‘Manie Libbok comes on.
- 73‘Burger Odendaal comes off.
- 72‘Nick de Jager comes on.
- 72‘Lodewyk De Jager comes off.
- 72‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Jean-Luc du Plessis getting some game time.
- 72‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Damian Willemse being replaced.
- 68‘Stormers make a substitution with Cobus Wiese coming on.
- 68‘Stormers make a substitution with Sikhumbuzo Notshe coming off.
- 65‘Stormers sub JC van Rensburg comes onto the field.
- 65‘Steven Kitshoff departs for Stormers.
- 64‘Nqobisiwe Mxoli comes on for Bulls.
- 64‘Lizo Gqoboka leaves the field.
- 62‘Ivan van Zyl comes on.
- 62‘Andre Riaan Warner comes off.
- 62‘Damian Willemse adds the two points for Stormers.
- 61‘Pieter-Steph du Toit sets up the try.
- 61‘A wonderful passing move by Stormers is finished off by Ramone Samuels.
- 61‘This is dangerous for the defence as Raymond Rhule bursts through to advance the Stormers attack.
- 59‘Bulls have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 58‘Frans van Wyk comes on.
- 58‘Conraad Van Vuuren comes off.
- 58‘Jaco Visagie comes on.
- 58‘Adriaan Strauss comes off.
- 54‘Bulls decide to make a substitution, with Roelof Smit getting some game time.
- 54‘Bulls decide to make a substitution, with Thembelani Bholi being replaced.
- 53‘Thembelani Bholi has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 53‘Chris Van Zyl has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 52‘SP Marais kicks the penalty.
- 50‘Bulls make a substitution with Travis Ismaiel coming on.
- 50‘Bulls make a substitution with Divan Rossouw coming off.
- 50‘Stormers sub Nizaam Carr comes onto the field.
- 50‘Siya Kolisi departs for Stormers.
- 50‘Damian Willemse does the business as his conversion attempt goes over.
- 49‘Damian de Allende sets up the try.
- 49‘A series of passes by Stormers results in a try for SP Marais.
- 48‘Handre Pollard makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 48‘A gap opened in the defence and Damian de Allende took full advantage.
- 47‘Spellbinding play by Andre Riaan Warner is finished off with a try.
- 47‘Bulls are stopped just a few metres from the try line but Jason Jenkins picks up from the base of the ruck to score the try.
- 47‘The defensive line has been broken as Jason Jenkins goes through the gap.
- 47‘Pieter-Steph du Toit has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 43‘Bulls have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 43‘Sikhumbuzo Notshe comes on for Stormers.
- 43‘Siyabonga Ntubeni leaves the field.
- 42‘Stormers have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 40‘What a run here by Burger Odendaal as they gets over the gainline!.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 38‘Siyabonga Ntubeni comes on.
- 38‘Sikhumbuzo Notshe comes off.
- 33‘Bulls have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 33‘Handre Pollard has kicked a penalty goal.
- 32‘Ramone Samuels (Stormers) is shown a yellow card.
- 32‘Marco van Staden makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 20‘Handre Pollard converts the try.
- 20‘Handre Pollard played a key part in that try.
- 19‘Great hands by Bulls leads to a try for Lodewyk De Jager.
- 19‘Fabulous play by Bulls has led to Lodewyk De Jager being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 18‘Trouble here as Jason Jenkins breaches the defence.
- 16‘Stormers have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 15‘Damian Willemse steps up to take the penalty but pulls it wide and to the left.
- 12‘Damian Willemse has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 10‘That’s a great try assist by Steven Kitshoff.
- 10‘Wilco Louw scores the try from close range.
- 6‘Damian Willemse has kicked a conversion.
- 5‘This is dangerous for the defence as Damian Willemse bursts through to advance the Stormers attack.
- 4‘Dewaldt Duvenage sets up the try.
- 4‘Stormers are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Damian Willemse touching down.
- 1‘A gap opened in the defence and Raymond Rhule took full advantage.
- The defensive line has been broken as SP Marais goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.