KEO News Wire
Smith denies speculation over Highlanders return
Ben Smith says he will be no more than a spectator when the Super Rugby Aotearoa gets under way next month.
Former New Zealand full-back Ben Smith has denied speculation that he will rejoin the Highlanders.
Smith joined Top 14 side Pau after the Rugby World Cup in Japan last year, bringing an end to his illustrious All Blacks career.
There has been talk the 33-year-old could be on his way back to the Highlanders for the Super Rugby Aotearoa competition.
However, Smith says he will be no more than a spectator when his former club resumes action after the Super Rugby season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
He posted on Instagram: “Super Rugby Aotearoa looks like a great concept
“I’m looking forward to supporting the Highlanders and watching them give it a crack. I’m not sure where the speculation has come from but I won’t be playing in this year’s competition.
“I’m looking forward to getting alongside my club side in Green Island and getting back to grassroots where it all started.”
The Super Rugby Aotearoa, featuring the Highlanders, Blues, Chiefs, Hurricanes and Crusaders, starts on June 13.
KEO.co.za News wire is powered by opta
-
KEO News Wire2 weeks agoJuarno Augustus sends robust reminder to Rassie
-
KEO News Wire2 weeks agoKeo URC Boks Weekly Form Team – Round 17
-
KEO News Wire6 days agoBulls captain Ruan Nortje is a leader of men
-
KEO News Wire1 week agoSacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu lights up United Rugby Championship
-
International Rugby1 week agoSouth Africa will never again host the Rugby World Cup
-
KEO News Wire1 week agoGive the world champion Springboks a break
-
KEO News Wire2 weeks agoCameron Hanekom on the charge for the Boks
-
KEO News Wire5 days agoStormers Fans Ultimate XV – how good are those who missed out!
