KEO News Wire

Webb will not play for Toulon again, says club owner

Rhys Webb will not play for Toulon again this season, according to the club’s majority owner Bernard Lemaitre.

Toulon agreed to release Webb from his contract at the end of the campaign so he could move closer to his family in Wales and the following day it was confirmed the scrum-half had signed a deal to join Ospreys.

The switch to the Top 14 in 2018 forced the British and Irish Lion to put his international career on the back burner, but on Friday it was announced his impending return to the Liberty Stadium had earned him special dispensation to represent Wales at the Six Nations.

Webb was left out of Toulon’s squad to face Castres on Sunday and Lemaitre said the 31-year-old’s “dishonest” attitude meant he would not feature for the team again.

“His family is back in Wales, it’s difficult for him. We made huge amounts of time for him to be able to go back and see his family in Wales,” Lemaitre told Sud Radio.

“All of a sudden we learn he has already signed for Ospreys and his agent had already negotiated with the Welsh Rugby Union that he can be selected. It’s a dishonest attitude.

“It takes us to a situation where I think Rhys Webb will not play in the Toulon shirt again. The adventure will be cut short.”

KEO.co.za News wire is powered by opta

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *