The Sharks were more shocking than the Brumbies were brilliant in losing 24-17 in Canberra.
The hosts led 10-3 at halftime and extended the lead to 24-10 before a late Curwin Bosch try and Robert du Preez touchline conversion ensured a losing bonus point.
The Sharks had spoken of their ambition to go unbeaten overseas but from the outset they looked like they mentally were on a weekend bye. They were just awful.
The Brumbies wingers Lausii Taliauli and Henry Speigh scored tries and flyhalf Wharenui Hawera added a conversion and four penalties. Thomas du Toit and Bosch got the Sharks tries and Du Preez scored the rest of the points.
- Three of the last five games between these teams has seen the away side on the day emerge victorious.
- This was the Brumbies first home win against a team from outside Australia since Round 14, 2016 (v Sunwolves), having losing six such games since.
- The Sharks have left with competition points from all but one of their last eight games in Australia, picking up four wins and three losing bonus points in that time.
- The Sharks, before the Brumbies defeat, had made 18 clean breaks per game this season, more than any other side in the competition; only two players had made more clean breaks than Makazole Mapimpi (8) this season, and he had played just twice.
Match commentary, from the opening minute
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 80‘Sharks have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 77‘Brumbies decide to make a substitution, with Connal McInerney getting some game time.
- 77‘Brumbies decide to make a substitution, with Folau Fainga’a being replaced.
- 77‘Robert du Preez makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 77‘Lukhanyo Am played a key part in that try.
- 76‘A wonderful passing move by Sharks is finished off by Lukhanyo Am.
- 76‘Lukhanyo Am makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 72‘Brumbies make a substitution with Lolo Fakaosilea coming on.
- 72‘Brumbies make a substitution with Thomas Cusack coming off.
- 71‘Wharenui Hawera adds the three points for Brumbies.
- 68‘Fabulous play by Sharks has led to Curwin Bosch being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 68‘Sharks have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 65‘Brumbies sub Matt Lucas comes onto the field.
- 65‘Joe Powell departs for Brumbies.
- 64‘Wharenui Hawera does the business as his penalty goal attempt goes over.
- 62‘Thomas Cusack comes on for Brumbies.
- 62‘Allan Alaalatoa leaves the field.
- 62‘Tyler Paul comes on.
- 62‘Stephan Lewies comes off.
- 61‘Wharenui Hawera makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 60‘John-Hubert Meyer comes on.
- 60‘Thomas du Toit comes off.
- 59‘James Dargaville comes on.
- 59‘Lausii Taliauli comes off.
- 59‘Brumbies decide to make a substitution, with Thomas Banks getting some game time.
- 59‘Brumbies decide to make a substitution, with Andy Muirhead being replaced.
- 59‘Brumbies make a substitution with Richie Arnold coming on.
- 59‘Brumbies make a substitution with Rory Arnold coming off.
- 59‘Sharks sub Mzamo Majola comes onto the field.
- 59‘Juan Schoeman departs for Sharks.
- 58‘Ruan Botha has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 57‘Nic Mayhew comes on for Brumbies.
- 57‘Scott Sio leaves the field.
- 57‘Cameron Wright comes on.
- 57‘Louis Schreuder comes off.
- 57‘Robert du Preez converts the try.
- 56‘Sharks are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Thomas du Toit touching down.
- 55‘Surely there’s going to be a try here – but no!!! Christian Lealiifano saves the day with a real try saver of a tackle.
- 53‘Les Makin comes on.
- 53‘Thomas Cusack comes off.
- 53‘Try saving tackle made by Christian Lealiifano.
- 53‘Jean-Luc du Preez comes on.
- 53‘Wian Vosloo comes off.
- 52‘Allan Alaalatoa (Brumbies) is shown a yellow card.
- 52‘What a tackle there by Lachlan McCaffrey as he saves a certain try!.
- 52‘Sharks decide to make a substitution, with Lwazi Mvovo getting some game time.
- 52‘Sharks decide to make a substitution, with Makazole Mapimpi being replaced.
- 48‘Wharenui Hawera has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 48‘Sharks make a substitution with Marius Louw coming on.
- 48‘Sharks make a substitution with Andre Esterhuizen coming off.
- 48‘Sharks sub Chiliboy Ralepelle comes onto the field.
- 48‘Armand van der Merwe departs for Sharks.
- 47‘That’s a great try assist by Lachlan McCaffrey.
- 47‘Trouble here as Henry Speight breaches the defence.
- 46‘A series of passes by Brumbies results in a try for Henry Speight.
- 43‘This is dangerous for the defence as Makazole Mapimpi bursts through to advance the Sharks attack.
- 40‘Brumbies have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40+1‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 35‘Lachlan McCaffrey (Brumbies) is shown a yellow card.
- 34‘Sharks have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 30‘Robert du Preez kicks the penalty.
- 25‘Wian Vosloo comes on for Sharks.
- 25‘Tyler Paul leaves the field.
- 22‘A gap opened in the defence and Joe Powell took full advantage.
- 18‘Wharenui Hawera has kicked a conversion.
- 17‘Andy Muirhead sets up the try.
- 17‘Great hands by Brumbies leads to a try for Lausii Taliauli.
- 17‘The defensive line has been broken as Lausii Taliauli goes through the gap.
- 17‘Brumbies have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 16‘Tyler Paul comes on.
- 16‘Wian Vosloo comes off.
- 6‘Wharenui Hawera has kicked a penalty goal.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.
Brumbies v Sharks, Canberra – 10:45
15 Andrew Muirhead, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Christian Lealiifano (captain), 11 Lausii Taliauli, 10 Wharenui Hawera, 9 Joe Powell, 8 Isi Naisarani, 7 Tom Cusack, 6 Lachlan McCaffrey, 5 Blake Enever, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Folau Fainga’a, 1 Scott Sio
Substitutes: 16 Connal McInerney, 17 Nic Mayhew, 18 Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin, 19 Richie Arnold, 20 Lolo Fakaosilea, 21 Matt Lucas, 22 James Dargaville, 23 Tom Banks
15 Curwin Bosch, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Louis Schreuder, 8 Tera Mtembu, 7 Jacques Vermeulen, 6 Wian Vosloo, 5 Stephan Lewis, 4 Ruan Botha (captain), 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Akker van der Merwe, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Substitutes: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 John-Hubert Meyer, 19 Tyler Paul, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Cameron Wright, 22 Marius Louw, 23 Lwazi Mvovo